Did Police Bungle Another Missing Persons Case? Lisa Michelle Hatchell Missing 5 Years Today

"Maybe she just went somewhere and died."  As incredible as it sounds, that's what Philadelphia police told the mother of Lisa Michelle Hatchell.  With that kind of mentality, it comes as no surprise that today, Lisa's 42nd birthday and the 5 year anniversary of her disappearance, she's still missing.  Like the case of Lily Aramburo, police have done little to nothing to find her.

"She was the sweetest little girl," Alonie Walton, Lisa's mom recalled.  "If you were ever depressed or sad, she would make a face that would make you laugh.  She never was a sad or unhappy child."

Lisa grew up in New Jersey and went on to nursing school in Philadelphia.  In the mid-80's she joined the U.S. Army where she eventually got married and had a son.  The marriage didn't last long.  Her husband, also a soldier, wanted to stay in the service.  Lisa did not.  The couple divorced and, according to Alonie, Lisa's life went downhill.

Crack cocaine entered her life, a circumstance which may have played a role in the lack of effort by law enforcement when she vanished.

"She got involved with the wrong friends," Alonie said.  "But she wanted to stop.  She went into rehab twice, but it didn't work out.  She'd get out and hang out with the same friends and be right back on it again."

One of those friends was her live in boyfriend Tyrone Henderson.  The last person known to have seen Lisa.  She and Tyrone were together for about 12 years living in southwest Philadelphia, according to Alonie.  They broke up early in their relationship.  Lisa began dating a former classmate of hers and had a child.  Not long after, Tyrone and her got back together for good.

"He seemed to be a nice guy," Alonie said. "When I moved to South Carolina from Philadelphia, he drove me.  He was like a friend of the entire family.  But I also knew he and Lisa fought a lot."

Tyrone had a good job as an electrician.  He held that job up until the time Lisa disappeared.  At that point, Alonie said, he quit and sold the house.

Parents always fear that dreaded call in the middle of the night.  The call telling them something happened to their child.  For Alonie, it was the call she didn't get.

"Lisa always called me at least every two weeks and always called me on her birthday."

On July 19, 2003--Lisa's 37th birthday, she didn't call her mother.  In fact, she and Tyrone were supposed to go to a family reunion that day.  They didn't show up.  Two days later, Alonie called for Lisa.  Tyrone answered the phone.

"I asked him to let me speak to Lisa.  I wanted to wish her a happy belated birthday.  He told me Lisa went out but when she got back he would have her call me.  I asked him why they didn't come to the family reunion.  He said he and Lisa had a terrible fight because she wanted to get her hair done and I didn't have any money.  But we made up.  I asked him if Lisa was alright.  He said she was and he'd have her call me when she returned."  Lisa never called her mother.

"The next day I called back.  I asked Tyrone if Lisa was home.  He told me she didn't come home last night.  I asked him again, is my daughter alright?  He said, 'yeah but last time I saw Lisa, she was in the park with a drug dealer.  And the drug dealer got shot and killed.'  I asked him what was going on.  He said nothing and that he was sure Lisa was alright.  He said he would have her call me when she got home."  Once again, Lisa never called.

"The next day, I called again and told Tyrone Lisa didn't call me.  He told me that a woman was found burned in a trash can and he was going to the police to see if it was Lisa.  At that point I was really worried about what has happened to my child."

Tyrone called Alonie back to say it wasn't Lisa.  "That was the last time I heard from him."

"So I called the police and told them my daughter was missing.  They asked me how old Lisa was.  When I told them she was 37, they told me that she is an adult and could come and go as she pleases.  I kept calling Tyrone but he wouldn't answer."

Frantic, Alonie called the Philadelphia police again.  They asked her if Lisa was in any danger.  "I said yes, that she was an addict.  They told me, 'if they wasted their time chasing down every addict that disappeared, we'd get nothing else done.'"

In early August 2003, Alonie and some family went up to Philadelphia to post flyers.  They asked around the neighborhood where Lisa lived if anyone had seen her.  "A couple of neighbors said, yes they remembered seeing her.  They said her and Tyrone had a terrible fight out here last month."  Several neighbors said the fight was very violent.  The last time they saw Lisa, she and Tyrone were heading back into their house.  "I told the police this but they wouldn't go out and question Tyrone."

For the next year and a half, Alonie continued to call the police asking for help.  She was getting no where.   Lisa's two children were now living with her and everyday asked where their mother was.  Alonie had no answers for them.

In August of 2005, while watching the news, she saw a search going on in Philadelphia for another missing woman who happened to be the relative of a city councilman.  Police were combing a park looking for her.  "Right then I got up and called the police and asked why every officer in Philadelphia was looking for this child when no one would raise a finger to help me find mine?  They told me to call back in the morning.  I called back and they gave me the run around.  So then I called city hall.  They told me to call internal affairs."

For the first time, someone actually listened to Alonie.  Within an hour, a detective from the missing persons division called her back.  According to the Philadelphia Weekly, the first entry in their files on Lisa Hatchell was August 23, 2005--two years after she was first reported missing.  It wasn't until 2006 that police first interviewed Lisa's boyfriend Tyrone.  Since then, Alonie said, he left the area and no one knows where he is.  The house where the couple lived has been converted into a duplex, possibly destroying any evidence that may have been there.  Doesn't matter though.  Five years later, the house has never been searched.  "My Lisa could be buried in the basement," Alonie said, her voice trembling.

Last fall, Alonie went to Philadelphia to meet with the lead detective and her supervisor.  "They made me feel like a second class citizen," she said.  "The captain told me that maybe she just went somewhere and died.  Just like that.  That's not something you tell a mother who's worried about her child.  I just shut down and didn't say anything."

Lisa's case has received some needed publicity.  Alonie appeared on CNN's Nancy Grace and there has been a few stories in the local paper.  But still, there is no word and no movement in the investigation.  After being with Lisa for 12 years, Tyrone has never called or checked to see if there is any news on Lisa.

"I think Tyrone did something to her," Alonie said.  "But I still hold on to the hope she's alive."

If you have ANY information regarding the disappearance of Lisa, you are asked to please call the Philadelphia Police Department at  (215) 685-3258 OR (215) 685-3257. You may also email the family @
FindLisaMichelle@Yahoo.Com.
You may remain anonymous if needed.

Classification: Endangered Missing Adult
Alias / Nickname: Lisa Cotton or Henderson
Date of Birth: 1966-07-19
Date Missing: 2003-07-19
From City/State: Philadelphia, PA
Missing From (Country): USA
Age at Time of Disappearance: 37
Gender: Female
Race: Black
Height: 64 inches
Weight: 135 pounds
Hair Color: Black
Hair (Other): Red braids or weave.
Eye Color: Black
Complexion: Dark

Identifying Characteristics: Double pierced ears, small scar under neck, birthmark on outer right thigh, very small scars on both ankles from insect bites, previously fractured left ankle.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Lisa was last seen at approximately 10:00pm in the vicinity of the 5400 block of Warrington Ave. in Philadelphia, PA.

Investigative Agency: Philadelphia Police Department
Phone: (215) 685-3258
Alternate Phone: (215) 685-3257

Investigative Case #: 05-12-65603

Survey results

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 7/19/2008 5:06 PM JAMIE wrote:
    IT IS SO SAD THAT LE DOESNT TAKE INTEREST UNTIL A FAMILY MEMBER STARTS MAKING NOISE. IF THEY WOULD HAVE JUST CHECKED THE HOUSE AND TYRONE.....AS SOON AS LISA'S MOM CALLED.....THEN LISA WOULD HAVE BEEN FOUND. HOW DOES SOMEONE JUST GO SOMEWHERE AND DIE? SOMEONE WOULD HAVE FOUND HER BY NOW. IF TYRONE DID IT....SHE IS HIDDEN SOMEWHERE. AGAIN....TOO MUCH LIKE LILLY'S CASE.
    TRULY SAD. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH THE FAMILY AND FOR LISA.
  • 7/19/2008 5:10 PM lisa mother wrote:
    it was a very good article, i should say an excellent article. thank and keep up the good work. i wish every LE in phila could read all the article that has been written on this case today.
  • 7/19/2008 5:33 PM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
    Alright ZG Army,

Holli has given us a new mission and Lisa's Mama needs us to brings Holli's message to the LE of Philly...she needs Justice and I know, if anyone can, we (ZG Army) can get this job done, right?!
    1. 7/19/2008 7:42 PM lisa mother wrote:
      LISA IS ALSO AN ARMY VET. SHE IS ALSO COUNTING ON YOU AND (ZGARMY)
  • 7/19/2008 6:31 PM JAMIE wrote:
    Ms Alonie,
    Do you know where tyrone is? We have a friend who can do backround checks. Anything you can think of or need...let us know.
    It does not matter if your daughter was an addict or a nun......she deserves the respect and hard work from the LE. Drugs are a sad thing.....but getting off of them is really hard. I feel in my heart that Lisa wanted to.....for her kids and you and herself.
    God Bless you and the kids...and Lisa.
    You all are in my prayers.
    1. 7/19/2008 7:33 PM lisa mother wrote:
      NO I HAVE NO IDEAK WHERE TYRONE IS.I DO KNOW THAT HE HAS SOME RELATIVE IN FAYETTVILLE NC. HIS LAST KNOWN ADDDRESS IS 5410 WARRENGTON AVE. PHILA.PA
      1. 7/19/2008 9:18 PM JAMIE wrote:
        WE'LL SEE WHAT WE CAN FIND OUT.
  • 7/19/2008 7:13 PM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
    We will help you Ms. Walton.

Let's copy and paste Holli's article and send it on to those that can make justice FINALLY happen for Lisa!

PA. GOV. Edward G. Rendell
    225 main capital bldg
    Harrisburg Pa. 17120

US SENATOR Arlen Specter
    711 Hart senate office bldg
    washington dc 20510

PA. SENATOR Bob Casey jr.
    383 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE

harrisburg pa 17120 POLICE HEADQUARTER
    FRANKLIN SQ.
    US. Senator Arlen Specter PHILA, PA 19106
    711 hart senate office bldg
    washington dc 20510

US CONGREE OF PHILA, PA. Mr. Chaka Fattah
    2301 RAYBURN OFFICE BLDG.
    WASHINGTON DC 20515

State Senator mr. anthony williams
    box 203008 room 366 capital bldg.
    harrisburg pa 17120
    1. 7/19/2008 7:39 PM lisa mother wrote:
      PLEASE GET ALL THESE ARTICLE TO THE ABOVE PEOPLE. I HAVE WROTE ALL OF THEM, BUT NEVER GOT ONE RESPONSE. MAYBE IF THEY SEE THAT I AM NOT ALONE IN THIS FIGHT THEY WILL STEPT UP TO THE PLATE AND DO WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE FIVE YEARS AGO. MAYBE IF THEY SEE THAT THE WORLD IS BEING MADE AWARE THAT THEIR CITY AND STATE HAVE BUNDLE ANOTHER CASE, AND ONCE THEY UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT GO JUST RUN AWAY, AND I HAVE EVERY ONE SUPPORT, THEY WILL BRING SOME CLOSURE TO THIS MYSTERY.
    2. 7/20/2008 12:54 PM lisa mother wrote:
      can anybody get this article to the big people in charge, and all the other stories that has been printed. i think they need a wake up call. let me know if this is possible and how soon can it be done. mainly the people listed above.
  • 7/19/2008 7:30 PM lisa mother wrote:
    THANKS I WILL BE EVER SO GRATEFUL IF SOME OF THESE ARTICLE COULD REACH ALL OF THE ABOVE PEOPLE. I HAVE WROTE TOTHEM, BUT NOTHING HAPPEN, MAYBE IF THEY SEE THAT THE WORDS IS GETTING OUT, THAT THEIR CITY AND STATE HAD BUMBLE ONE MORE CASE AND WE ARE NOT JUST GO RUN AWAY FROM THIS. THEY WILL GET SOME RESULTS. NO I HAVE NO IDEAL WHERE TYRONE IS. I KNOW HE HAS SOME RELATIVES IN FAYETTEVILL NC. THAT IS ALL THE INFOR I HAVE ON HIM.
  • 7/19/2008 8:40 PM Delilah wrote:
    What a wonderful way to end my day, coming home to see this article and the coming together of so many great people with one goal....honoring Lisa Hatchell.

Every missing person counts, no matter what their station in life, we are all connected and now we are connected to Lisa.

Alonie, as you have seen today, we will do everything we can to rally the troops and do our very best for you, Lisa and especially her children. You all deserve to know where she is and what happened to her. It seems like such a simple task, but it is a Long and Winding Road..........
  • 7/19/2008 9:44 PM JAMIE wrote:
    Tyrone Henderson
    View Details
    - New Kensington, PA - Lisa M Henderson

HENDERSON IS SUCH A COMMON NAME.....THIS CAUGHT MY EYE BECAUSE OF THE PERSON LISTED AS A RELATIVE....LISA M HENDERSON
    1. 7/20/2008 12:45 AM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
      That makes good sense, Jaimie!

Great sleuthing!
    2. 7/20/2008 8:35 AM lisa mother wrote:
      no this is not my daughter, i check this out before. they are a white couple and much younger
      1. 7/20/2008 11:06 AM JAMIE wrote:
        thanks cause i was about to do some serious searching on this guy
        1. 7/20/2008 7:59 PM lisa mother wrote:

VS. DEFENDANT TYRONE HENDERSON
          5410 WARRINGTON AVE
          PHILA. PA 19142
          FILING DATE3-15-2007
          FILING PART. TONILYN M. CHIPPIE

YOU CAN CHECK RECORD IN PHILADELPHIA
          at http://courts.phila.gov. let me know what happens.
  • 7/20/2008 12:40 AM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
    Let's wake up the Philadelphia Police Department, continue to urge them to FINALLY do their job, to look into Lisa's Case, to FINALLY give her and her family the attention they DESERVE!
  • 7/20/2008 12:44 AM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
    Holli?

Do you have any idea where this Tyrone might be now?

Shame on Tyrone Henderson and his cowardly ways, how dare he not actively look for the woman he claimed to love for TWELVE years!
  • 7/20/2008 12:53 AM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
    Where is Lisa Hatchell?! She has been missing for FIVE YEARS! Why hasn't her Case been Investigated? Where is her boyfriend of 12 years, Tyrone Henderson? Why did Tyrone Henderson take off right after Lisa went Missing?!!!
  • 7/20/2008 1:01 AM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
    Missing Since: July 19, 2003 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: July 19, 1966
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 135 pounds
    Hair: Black with red weave or braids
    Eyes: Black
    Piercings: Double pierced ears.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: She has previously fractured her left ankle. Hatchell has very small scars on both ankles from insect bites, a small scar under her neck, a birthmark on her outer right thigh.
    Aka: Her married name is Cotton, but she may using her boyfriend's last name, Henderson.
  • 7/20/2008 12:54 PM JAMIE wrote:
    MS ALONIE,

WHY HAS THE POLICE NOT FOUND HIM? THEY CAN GET HIS SS#. HE HAS TO BE EMPLOYED SOMEWHERE. WHAT ABOUT A PRIVATE DETECTIVE? DID THEY OWN THE HOUSE TOGETHER? BECAUSE THE KIDS WOULD BE INTITLED TO HER HALF? WHAT ABOUT HER THINGS FROM THE HOUSE? DID YOU GET HER THINGS?
    MY POINT WITH ALL THIS IS THAT THEY WERE NOT MARRIED....SO HE IS NOT INTITLED TO HER STUFF.....UNLESS THE COMMON LAW APPLIES. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING CONNECTED TO HER THAT LE CAN GET HIM ON....AS FAR AS FINDING HIM. HE IS THE KEY HERE. GET HIM STIRRED.
    1. 7/20/2008 3:09 PM lisa mother wrote:
      no they wasn't marry the house was in his deceased father name. his mother moved to nc and left the house to Tyrone. my daughter was only their for about a year. stay stayed different places until his mother moved to nc. no i never received her clothing or anything else she had there. i never could get in touch with him, and, the LE, refused to listen to me when ever i called. so i have no ideal where my daughter things are.
  • 7/21/2008 9:00 AM lisa mother wrote:
    NOW THAT HER BIRTHDAY HAS PAST PLEASE DON'T LET THE WORD GET COLD. PLEASE KEEP UP THE MOMENTUM.
    1. 7/24/2008 12:09 AM january/maggie's rose/sara wrote:
      We will, Alonie! You are an incredible Mom, everyone who has you in their lives is very blessed!
  • 9/20/2008 8:00 AM lisa mother wrote:
    please do not forget about my child lisa michelle. heR case is growing cold.lease help me keep the heat on the phila pa LE
  • 10/9/2008 6:08 AM lisa mother wrote:
    please help me find out what happen to my baby girl. i am so sad. there appeared to be no help and no where to turn. please help me to raise a reward for my daughter.
    1. 10/9/2008 6:27 AM Holliston wrote:
      Try contacting Susan Murphy Milano at the below contacts.  She may be able to help.

If you could from time to time pass on info to families whose loved ones are either suspected missing because of family violence and or divorce I could feature their case on http://www.justiceinterrupted.blogspot.comand draw additional attention. And from time to time we are able to work with cases thru law enforcement. If nothing else it's another road to having families voice and their loved ones heard.

I also do a show on the war on crime radio (
      I contribute to
      And I have a blog over on

1. 10/12/2008 4:02 PM lisa mother wrote:
        could you please give me an e-mail to Susan milano. is it possible for you to do a broadcast pod on Lisa. any thing to keep the world aware that she is still missing and the LE isn;t done anything to help find her. thank Lisa mother
  • 1/7/2009 7:10 AM lisa mother wrote:
    JUST WANT TO WISH ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR AND ASK THAT YOU ALL KEEP MY FAMILY IN YOUR PRAYERS THAT THIS BE THE YEAR THAT WE FIND OUT WHAT HAPPEN TO OUR DEAR LISA. PLEASE COMTINUES TO KEEP THE NEW ABOUT HER MISSING , SO THE PUBLIC WILL KNOW THAT SHE IS STILL MISSING AND THE LE. IS STILL NOT DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
  • 7/10/2009 12:17 PM alonie wrote:
    this is lisa michelle hatchell's mother. july 19, will be lisa 43 birthday, and the anniversary of the day she went missing 6 years ago. I have had only two reports from the LE this years. they have not given me any feed back on some infor i sent them. they have not been in touch with tyron, they still have not did a CSI on the house where lisa was last seening. they shows no concerns about my child.please help me bring some closuresto this .

Page: 1 of 1